The first hurricane of the season that could potentially affect South Florida is en route to arrive; Hurricane Erika may hit South Florida by Monday morning. It is important to take the necessary precautions to keep you and your home safe from this storm. Follow the tips below to help you better prepare for the possible hurricane :
Before the storm:
- Build an emergency kit including the necessary items you and your family may need to living in your house with no power for a couple of days. Be sure to include: non-perishable foods, water, flashlights, batteries, etc.
- Secure your home properly
- Place shutters or plywood on your windows to protect your home from the strong winds of the hurricane
- Install straps or additional clips to securely fasten your roof to the frame structure
- Trim shrubs and trees so they are more wind resistant
- Reinforce your garage doors; if wind enters a garage it can cause dangerous and expensive structural damage to a home
- Bring all outdoor furniture, decorations, garbage cans, and anything else that is not tied down inside you home
- Inspect all areas of your home; take note of what you are inspecting. If anything goes wrong during the storm and your home requires an insurance claim, it is important that you have this information
After The Storm:
- Inspect your home for any damages. If you see anything that may be damaged take photos of it and try not to touch or move anything.
If you notice anything different in your home following the storm, contact us for you free property inspection.